Saturday, August 6, 2011

Come Together





Things are starting to come together... It's taken a considerable amount of time to do this, because some of the materials that we are using (i.e. recycled and repurposed stuff) take a long time to prepare. Remember all the way back when I was talking about flooring for the upstairs? Preparing the material for that has taken forever, pictures below of what it looks like.

Finishing a house is always tedious and time-consuming, and now that my grad program has started back up, my mind and body are running on...Well, what am I running on?

--Coffee
--Water
--Juice
--WWOZ (New Orleans radio station)
--Little sleep
--Food
--The hope that things will turn out awesome.

That last one is tough to grasp right now, a lot of things are happening in the world and in life that tend to get us down. Quote from a song from my jam-band obsession days:

"Gonna pick myself up off the ground, that old feeling comes around again
I've had enough of feeling down, something I lost that must be found again
Sometimes seems like such a hard life, but there's good times around the bend
Roller coaster's got to roll to the bottom if you want to climb to the top again."

Yes, that was the String Cheese Incident. Yes, I just did that, what of it?

Anyway, the walls and exterior have a good coat of paint, the cabinets have been mounted, the old windows have been repaired, the floors have been put down, the A/C unit (HUGE) has been set...Crap, it's been awhile since I wrote one of these updates...

So, instead of making this post huge and unending, I'll get to the sexy flooring part and explain the minutiae of the A/C, windows, and cabinets later.

What I am proud to say is that, save for the bathrooms, all of the flooring for the house was salvaged from wood original to the house. The downstairs looks like this now (Unsanded and unfinished just yet):



And for the upstairs, we took the old cypress and pine siding from the exterior, planed and milled it, and made it into flooring slats:

Before:


After:


And the upstairs hallway:



As I said, a lot more has been happening with other aspects of the house, it's just been a long process to get this one part to come together.

More to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment